Thursday, April 17, 2008

This week (April 14-17)

Wow! I can’t believe that May is right around the corner. My time here seems to be going by so fast. I am praying that the Lord will help me to make the most of my time with the children and with the staff. This week, I found myself to be very busy. I am so thankful that I have things to do while I am here. One of responsibilities here as an intern is to coordinate for two missionary teams that will serve here from The Masters College and Grace Community Church in California. The first team consists of 10 students from TMC. They will serve here for six weeks by teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) in the schools of Katlehong. One of my responsibilities for the next few weeks is to coordinate their housing, transportation, teaching schedule and their leisure activities. This is fun! On Tuesday, I met with one of the school principals to discuss the service of this team. The meeting was so very good, the teachers were excited and willing to have the students from the US come and work with the schools. The teachers were even open to having the students stay in their homes. What a testimony of the S. Africans hospitality!

This week, I also had the privilege of teaching Bible Study for the 1st time. Yeah!!! Honestly, I was kind of nervous. I wasn’t too sure about the topic of choice. One of the ladies shared the desire to be taught about something that would “build them up.” Although I don’t believe in building people up, so to speak, I knew exactly what she meant. She wanted me to teach something that would encourage them. These women, in my opinion, do want to know the Lord and although it’s a requirement for them to attend Bible Study, I do sincerely believe that they have a desire to want to know God. Please note that the conflict here with some S. Africans is that many will say that they are Christians while believing in their ancestors. I was told that many fear their ancestors more than they feared God. So, in teaching we have to be very careful and use wisdom in the way in which we proclaim God’s truth. We also have to make sure we don’t assume that they are saved or unsaved. So wisdom and discernment is always a prayer request. Today, I talked about the fact that God does hear us and that He is not some distant god who is not acquainted with our ways, instead, He is the One true God, who is intimately acquainted with all our ways. More specifically He hears the needs of the poor, especially those who are poor in spirit. (Matt. 5:3) I shared that unlike man God is not partial to those who are rich or poor, black or white, Zulu or Xohsa. (James 2:1-9; Job 34:19) I shared that the world puts us into categories based on race/tribe and wealth. But God does not see us like that. God has classified us into 2 groups and that is those who know him (spiritual man) and those who need to know him (natural man). (1st Corinthians 2:14-15) It was on this basis, that I sought to encourage them from the Scriptures. Overall, it was a good Bible Study, the ladies laughed and although they had a hard time opening up, they did ask questions and shared a little about their struggles. Hopefully, as time goes by they will be a bit more transparent. Please pray that as Beth and I seek to minister the Word of God to these ladies that it will fall on good soil, take root and bear much fruit.


Happy Birthday!!!! One of the children from our homes is celebrating a birthday tomorrow. He will turn seven, praise God! When the children turn seven we take them out to McDonalds. Yes, we do have a Mickey Ds. Thank God for global marketing! This birthday boy lives at the same house I do (78, see previous blog), so I took him out for dinner last night. He had pizza with a coke and I bought him a pair of cool sun glasses as a gift. He did look pretty cool! We had so much fun! I am thankful for the simple moments in life, the children are truly a gift from the Lord.

1 comment:

These Three Kings said...

Well preach on sista!! Preach on!! love it! God is so good to use us to advance His kingdom!! praying for you and the word that went forth! To GOD be the GLORY!!