Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Eco-Gardening

Well, today I am very excited about traveling to Kwandebele to learn about eco-gardening. Eco-gardening is an economical way of gardening that allows you to grow large amount of foods in small circular spaces. Our garden will consist of potatoes, carrots, beans, peanuts, onions, lettuce and beetroots. I will be trained for 3 days on the basics of how to create and sustain an eco-garden. The objective of this trip is for me to learn and then go back to the township of Katlehong to teach and help the residents learn how to create and maintain their own gardens. We want to teach the residents of Katlehong how to be self-sufficient. I imagine there must be a great fulfillment in eating vegetables that you have planted in your own garden.
The thought of using the God given resource of the earth to grow and provide food for those who otherwise would not able to afford it, is motivating. This is the first time that I will learn how to grow crops. So, please pray that I will retain all the information in such a way that I will be able to teach it to others with clarity.

Grace alone!

4 comments:

Wonderful World said...

How exciting!!!! I am praying for you and please keep your notes on the gardening I'm interested in learning!! Love that you have a blog and we can keep up with you! Stay encouraged!

Shaunta' said...

Keisha,
Remember you are not only learning to garden for the people in Africa, but for me too!!!! I am so serious and such an old lady!! Please take good notes and soak up all that good info. Who knows, you may come back to the States and start your own gardening business...I think the Prov 31 woman grew her own veggies, right?!!!! Love you!

These Three Kings said...

soo cool!!! cant wait to learn as well!! you know I am having a garden planted on the side and back of house..the hood is not ready!!! love you! loving your blog

Ella said...

keisha, i just found your blog through one of nicole's links. i am so excited that you are blogging about your time in south africa!! i loved reading your posts and look forward to many more, so that i may know how to pray for you and the relationships that you build. i'm excited to keep up with you this way!!

love,
ella